Robert Gustafson posted yesterday:
 "The major stated reason for the non-renewal is that
Ms. Lawson had pursued another job opening in Florida
earlier this year. I have a hard time swallowing this
one. Carol Johnson looks at another job, she gets a
raise. Mary Lawson makes it to the final cut in
Orlando, and she gets terminated? I don't think so."

As a reporter who covered the meeting, let me point out that the
complete explanation given by Library Board President Laurie Savran
was this: "I think the board wanted to move in a new direction and
some
members felt after Ms. Lawson had pursued other job interests THAT
SHE WASN'T AS COMMITTED AS SHE HAD BEEN (emphasis added)."

Savran was in the awkward position of speaking for a decision she
personally opposed.  Without commenting on the accuracy of the board's
perception, there's a difference between voting someone out for
pursuing another job and doing so because of a feeling that she hasn't
been as committed since doing so.

Steve Brandt
Staff Writer
Star Tribune (Mpls-St. Paul)