Oh!  So much to respond to on this topic, I barely know where to start!

OF COURSE DEMOGRAPHICS FACTORED INTO KOWALSKI'S DECISION!  And as Tom B.
pointed out, the demographics aren't good right now.  In fact, one of
the consultants that Whittier, Stevens Square and Loring Park hired to
help come up with a marketing strategy to attract developers to Nicollet
Avenue's development opportunities, said, 'the number of supportive
housing facilities in this area makes it appear that it is treated with
LESS CIVIC DISREGARD than other areas of town' (not an exact quote).

Turtle Bread Company, as a small company with an owner that has other
goals and interests than simply his bottom line, is more likely to see
its investment as part of neighborhood improvement.  I doubt that
Kowalski's runs on the same values.  (Nothing against them, they are
bigger and not as historically tied to the neighborhood in which 1800
Nicollet is located.  They may be more willing to take a financial hit
at their home store on Grand Ave in St. Paul.)

Barbara Nelson mentions the success of Riverside Market in my
neighborhood of Seward.  Every third check in our family's checkbook is
made out to Riverside Market -- so we use them a lot. Again, the local
market play a huge role in their success.  Their market is a mix of
better-off homeowners looking for a quick trip AND the residents (400+?)
of several high rise apartments that are directly across the street.

Cara Letofsky
Seward