Steve supports a resolution, but wants to see action as well as words.
He opposes war, but also opposes police brutality.

Good. We can put these together.

Often peaceful protests against war, and other controversial issues, are
met with police repression - pepper spray, batons, rubber bullets,
blockades, herding into arrest areas, etc - all designed to curtail or end
public opposition to government/special interest policy. As has happened
here re Hwy 55, Mayday, ISAG, Critical Mass.

So. The council should resolve vs war in Iraq, and for complete freedom to
occupy public spaces to protest, with no police obstruction or brutality.
Perhaps even a body to immediately take up repression when it happens,
with subpoena power, to enforce our First Amendment rights.

I also like the suggested addition of concrete moves to sustainable energy
(vs oil) for city properties. Perhaps also a stand against JROTC coming
into Mpls (it's already in St Paul, alas). And for small business,
business not dependent on invading third world countries for resources and
markets. We are in a bad system, and need to get round it every way we
can, locally, here and now. These can easily be moves to make life here
much better for all of us.

--David Shove