Hello List,

Yes, it's the woman in Tampa again.  I support the Anti-War Resolution.
While people keep remarking on the fact that the mayor and council members
were not elected to get involved in national politics, they were, however,
IMHO, expected to make decisions and partnerships with officials much higher
up than themselves, which will work to benefit us all in the long run.  And,
every local politician is a national one in the making, whether they see
themselves in that light or not.  Sometimes fate intervenes and puts them in
the position to lead, while others, depending on the circumstances, may
stumble and fall.

No, this is not a post to expound on the idea of using ones public trust for
political and social gain.  It is, however, to show how nothing works in
isolation.  The City of Minneapolis is a vital contributor to the nation as
a whole.  The thoughts, actions, and livelihoods of the citizenry there are
intertwined in this seemingly unrelenting march toward war.  Some may see a
reason for it war, and for every reason given for it, I believe, as do
others, that there exists a million reasons against it.

My brother-in-law, Herbert Thompson, is in the Air Force here in Florida.
He grew up in south Minneapolis, Central neighborhood to be exact.  He is a
homegrown son of excellent character.  He is the loving and devoted husband
of my sister Robin, and the loving and responsible father to my nephews,
Marcus, Ryan and Anthony.  He dedicated the majority of his adult life to
the military, and protecting his country, flying in the F-16's.  He did his
time, and is due to retire now.  However, with this WAR upon us, he is being
retained.

I do not believe this should be happening.  My sister and his children have
spent a majority of their lives being brave and praying for his safe return
form his missions.  His son's are now all in college, and he was looking
forward to spending time with my sister and growing old gracefully.  They
recently bought a home, and were looking forward to a life OUTSIDE the
military.  He looked forward to spending time with both sides of the family,
who do reside in Minneapolis.  Going to war at this time in his life was the
last thing any of us would have foreseen.  He has survived this long; he has
earned the right to his freedom.  I do not believe even the military has the
right to deny him his civilian life now.  Is this a case of me saying, "not
in my backyard?"  The answer is an unequivocal YES!!!!  If something should
happen to him President Bush should thank his lucky stars that I believe in
GOD because that would be his only saving grace from me.  He is a valued
member of our world and his presence would be sorely missed.

I have three brothers who are veterans of the armed services.  I thank God
that they survived it.  I do not believe in this war.  I believe that there
is outpouring enough in the city, albeit, the nation, to warrant public
officials speaking out, even if it comes down to nothing more than taking
that public stance.  I believe that reaching out to save another human being
is always correct.  All it takes sometimes is the power of one.  And then so
on and so on and so on...and suddenly you have a coalition.  Many voices.
One action.

A thought: Hitler became a dictator by the margin of just one vote.  In the
final analysis, every voice and action counts for something.

"When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and
love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time
they seem invincible, but in the end, they always fall - think of it,
always."
   ~ Mohandas K. Gandhi (1869-1948), Agitator

Thank you, Eric, for the quote, and the thoughtful message which preceded
it. And, I applaud council members Zimmerman and Zerby for being unafraid of
standing up and being counted.

Respectfully,

Pamela Taylor (Tampa)

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
1. Send all posts in plain-text format.
2. Cut as much of the post you're responding to as possible.