In a message dated 6/12/2003 7:24:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

>  Before I get into some specifics, I made a rule long before my kids started
>  in the Minneapolis Public School system: only listen to those with kids IN
>  the school system. The rest of us can more easily have our ideological axes
>  to grind, but parents with kids find that experience often tempers (or
>  reverses) such ideological biases.

It is my understanding that Julie Quist is speaking on behalf of public
school
parents who are content to have public schools that do a pretty good job of
educating nearly all of their students. It is understandable that these
parents
are skeptical about or opposed to the idea of remodeling their school system
so that it is structured and functions more like the Minneapolis Public
School
system.

>  Nope. It's learning via a current interest. That may or may not become a
>  career. Again - how many of us IN COLLEGE ended up doing something
different
>  than our majors? It's hyperbolic to think that a high school SLC is more
>  powerful career cement than a college major.

Here David Brauer is putting words in the mouth of his opponent, and calling
those
words hyperbolic. Quist did not say that a high school SLC is a more powerful
career cement that a college major.

The SLCs are part of a curriculum tracking system that narrows the options of
students entering high school, which in turn narrows their options in life
after high school. For example, the hurdles for students who go to college
without the benefit of college-preparatory curriculum programs in high school are
considerable, such as having to go to college on a full-time basis for an extra
year or two to complete noncredit college class work. College is generally a
more realistic option for students who don't need to take any noncredit
classes.

Most MPS students entering high school are entering SLC programs that do not
prepare them for college. And SLC programs designed to prepare students for
college are not an option for most MPS students.

>  >    You say that every SLC "delivers all of the state
>  > required and elective academic standards." They do indeed
>  > teach the standards, but all of the curriculum is integrated
>  > with the particular career pathway.
>
>  I would prefer to say "taught through a career metaphor" - since, as the
>  poster admits, the student is still learning the standards.
>
>  To me, the standards are what's important. If you learn them - by whatever
>  means - you can do anything.

The standards, i.e., what is required to graduate from high school is one
thing,
and what is generally expected of high school graduates going on to college
is another thing.

>  As an aside, I went to Maple River Education's website:
>  http://www.edwatch.org/
>
>  In the "Our Mission" page, the group states:
>  "MREdCo is committed to educating the public about the unprecedented
>  movement of the U.S. workforce, the U.S. economy and the entire educational
>  system toward a centrally planned and controlled federal system."
>
>  Paradoxically, the SLCs that MREdCo opposes reflect the essence of local
>  control: a decision made at the city level to organize a large district via
>  smaller groups to improve learning.
>
>  I worry that MREdCo - whose majority of members, I'm guessing, are NOT from
>  Minneapolis - wants to impose ITS statewide or national ideology on our
>  local system.

I don't agree with the Maple River Educational Coalition diagnosis. I think
the underlying
problem is an economic, political and social system based on the exploitation
and oppression of the poor by the rich.  However, the MREdCo is for the kind
of school system that I want my child to attend and that I think would best
serve the interests of the working classes.

I don't agree with David Brauer that the decision to set up SLC is a strictly
local decision.  The SLCs are consistent with an education agenda supported
by the leadership of the Democratic and Republican parties at the national
level
and by the Departments of Education of all 50 states and the federal
government.

Although it apparently has strong ties to the Republican Party, the MREdCo is
fighting
for the right of local school districts to set policy, and are resisting the
imposition
of GOP-endorsed policies in their own back yard.

>  (By the way, my opposition to Maple River here is not ideologically
>  knee-jerk. I, like them, opposed the Profiles of Learning.)
>
>  David Brauer
>  King Field
>  Parent of an MPS kid

-Doug Mann, King Field
Educationright.tripod.com
TEMPORARY REMINDER:
2. If you don't like what's being discussed here, don't complain - change the subject
(Mpls-specific, of course.)