Brandon Lacy says:
>"As a matter of fact, the Governor who sent those troops in is the same
> governor that is a co-conspirator for any increase in crime that happens
in
> Minneapolis because he is the governor responsible for pulling safety nets
> out from under the citizens of Minneapolis, and when one is desperate and
> trying to feed ones family or when one feels there are no real options
left
> crime becomes a way to provide for oneself."

Brandon possibly does not realize that gangs and drugs were going wild in
Minneapolis during the middle of the Clinton years.  They real start in
Minneapolis came during the Perpich years.  The best economic times that
this country has EVER enjoyed.  No, it is not just the economy. It is more
insidious than that; it is a pattern of institutional discrimination against
the poorest neighborhoods.  You concentrate poverty and look at it as a
resource for the poverty industry and a way to concentrate problems away
from the good people who vote.

More than just the stock market went wild and was incredibly lucrative in
the Nineties.  The drug market also went wild in Minneapolis. So much so
that people from hardcore areas like Chicago, Detroit, LA, Memphis, KC, St
Louis and Gary were willing to come to Minneapolis and rage an open armed
warfare for a share of "the most lucrative market" in the United States. A
market where the rewards were incredible and the chance for real jail time
minimum for a "smart operator".  During those days there was a real shortage
of workers in Minneapolis.  It is the reason for many of the "new
 immigrants" coming to Minneapolis.  There simply were jobs for the taking
for anyone who actually wanted to work.

Brandon also says:
"What is even more 'ducky' is the absolute lack of any type of investment in
> Jordan, or any other low-income community of color in Minneapolis, that
will
> address the root causes of why folks turn to the streets and crime. It
isn't
> for the thrill and joy of it. It's because there is a lack of any real
> opportunity. There is lack of livable wage jobs, affordable housing, and
all
> the other issues that have come up on this list."

Brandon, this is the reason for all the development activity on Franklin
Avenue.  We were by far the most vocal, in your face, community in the Crime
war in the late nineties. PNBC was the strongest Block Club Organization
this City has seen.  We also got creative about fighting crime with the
"Drug& Crime Task Force", the incredible alliance we had with all the
different law enforcement officials in the State of Minnesota and with then
US Attorney David Lillehaug.  Even so it became clear to us that we were
losing the War.  The reason was that Franklin Avenue just bred criminals. It
was depressed and most of the "Good" business was driven out, and it was
simply too lucrative for the drug trade.  Drug dealers would rent a run down
apartment near Franklin for thousands of dollars a month and think it was a
deal. The drug business was that good. The only way to solve the problem was
to redevelop the street.  We started Ventura Village and got busy with a new
"Plan".

Our Ventura Village Neighborhood did a Master Planning process and began to
recruit and help interested developers to change Franklin.  We still have
the area between Chicago and Portland infested with criminals, but we are
working on it.  We DO now have over 100 million dollars of development that
is committed between I-35 and the new LRT Line.  Come down and see what we
have going on, and notice the change between Chicago and the LRT.

It is the first law of plumbing. Crap runs down hill, either by gravity or
by political pressure.  We knew we were at the bottom of the hill, and the
ONLY way we would ever change it was to jack our valley up a few notches (so
it would run somewhere else).  Our Franklin "Valley" is still getting some
of the run off.  But gradually the stink of the unfairness is even beginning
to bring the politicians around to giving us a little justice.  There IS
light at the end of that long, long tunnel!

 It is working; recently in a conversation with an old high school friend an
executive from the Welch Company said our area was one of the "Hottest"
areas in Minneapolis.  I guess our valley just keeps getting higher and
higher.  Before long we will be valuable enough to deserve "Equal Protection
Under The Law". We have had to drag the City along like a ball and chain
(they do not give up their favorite dumping and concentration area without a
fight), but we seem to be getting there.  RT Rybak's actions this week gives
us all hope.  The passion of Don Samuels is also refreshing and perhaps
surprising. Unless you realize he was first a resident "fighter" then became
a CM.

Wizard is correct, just doing it in Jordan will not solve the problem.  It
will simply go somewhere else to do business until the heat goes off, then
they will return to Jordan.  Unless Jordan also brings up its valley.

We have had a huge influx of the boys in white T-shirts and white baseball
caps this last week.  We assume these drug dealers are coming from the
Northside. Many of them say they live over North.  Even Brooklyn, the 5-9
300-pond drug dealer, is back on the corner of Chicago and Franklin.  How in
the hell can someone that conspicuous (I have seen less white cloth in a
sloop's sail than his white T-shirt) and that blatant get away with thumbing
his nose at cops?  He has openly bragged that the police efforts just get
the dumb street competition, that the cops are not smart enough to take him
down.

So the "Word" is out and the smart rats are already bailing. Coming to new
opportunities.  Heck, Chicago-Franklin is "Known" across the nation as the
"honey Pot" for drug profits.  What we need is that "Drug&Crime Task Force"
that would follow it wherever it goes, until it leaves Minneapolis all
together. We need a comprehensive, coherent plan that simply does not
topically treat the symptom, but that systemically removes the entire
disease. And does not stop until it does!

RT has made a start in the right direction.  Lets all expect it and him to
continue.  Continue even when the "better" neighborhoods scream about
occasionally seeing one of "Our" drug dealers outside the City's designated
"War Zones".  Hopefully RT will not make the mistake Sharon did.  Of course
Sharon never thought it was a serious enough problem to overcome her
embarrassment and ask for outside help.  So already RT is showing he takes
it a great deal more serious.

Thanks again RT.

Jim Graham,
Ventura Village

>" Nothing is particularly hard if you divide it into small jobs."
- Henry Ford

PS: By the way List Manager, you do not have to worry about "feeding the
troll".  Trolls live under bridges, and Minneapolis does not even allow
people to sleep under its bridges!

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
2. If you don't like what's being discussed here, don't complain - change the subject
(Mpls-specific, of course.)