Michelle Gross wrote:

> 3) People echoed Brandon's sentiments (below) that investing
> in long-term solutions like jobs and housing would work better than
> wasting money on 12 state troopers for a month, but they know where Pawlenty's
> head is at on that.  He is the guy who is throwing many poor families off
> welfare and who cut the funding for the city's job program for teens.

Wrong concept!  There's not much value in creating make-work jobs
for high school dropouts when we already waste millions of dollars
in a system that fails to educate them.  The answer is to make students
in the public schools successful by insuring that the system WORKS FOR them!
However, while the changes are obvious and simple they will never be accepted
because people are too caught up in their own world views and self-interests
to see past their own noses.

Michael Atherton
Prospect Park

TEMPORARY REMINDER:
2. If you don't like what's being discussed here, don't complain - change the subject
(Mpls-specific, of course.)