On 8/17/04 12:50 PM, "Gina Palandri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> After sitting thru pre-LRT meetings, and dealing with them before the
> tracks were done and the trains were running; all they were at all
> interested in is getting us to "buy their train".  I read the newspaper
> too; however I disagree.  I do not blame the city, nor the the city
> council.  As a matter of fact my city council person Gary Schiff has
> been extremely pro-active in all of the issues I have brought to him
> regarding the LRT.  Including an on-line petition to stop the blaring of
> the ridiculous "fog" horns they were using, and the fast response of the
> critical parking petition.

I'm sure Gary Schiff has been very proactive in responding to concerns.
However, I'll highlight again an excerpt from Sunday's article about LRT and
the parking issues:

"In a decision that dates to the 1980s, the council wanted to put land near
transit stations to better use. Members thought that parking lots would only
invite new traffic to neighborhoods and then fill up anyway -- sending the
spillover to residential streets."

Gary Schiff was not on Council when this decision was made way back in the
1980's. In fact, I don't think any of the current council members were
serving back when Council made the decision not to allow Park and Ride lots
in Minneapolis. If I recall correctly, that decision even predates the
actual selection of Hiawatha for the LRT corridor. Regardless of who
actually made that decision, it's the current City Council that gets to deal
with it.

>  And no we are not a bunch of neighbors
> blowing hot air so to speak.  From the very beginning this has been
> Metro Transits project, every aspect of it has been to benefit the
> project.

Continuing to blame Metro Transit for not planning Park and Ride lots along
the LRT route after Minneapolis City Council decided not to allow them is
analogous to getting mad at the caterer of some party you went to for not
having a good enough dessert selection when the host told them not to serve
a dessert at all. It's misplaced anger and it's not going to help anything,
regardless of what Gina and her neighbors would like to comfort themselves
with believing.

I'm not necessarily sure that Park and Ride lots are the solution to Gina
and her neighbors' concerns. I'm more inclined to think along the lines of
Jason Goray in that having cars parked in front of your house is part of the
deal with living in the city and that building Park and Ride lots along the
line will only draw more cars than any such lots could comfortably hold.
Anybody who's seen some of the smaller Park and Ride lots along the freeway
bus routes knows this is true.

But I do know that if those folks living along the LRT line actually want
Park and Ride lots, then they're going to have to lobby City Council to
change their stance on allowing those lots because they're the ones who have
the authority to make that decision, not Metro Transit.

Mark Snyder
Windom Park