From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Michael Thompson
Sent: Monday, February 21, 2005 10:05 PM
To: Mpls list
Subject: [Mpls] A Real Minneapolis Problem

I know that this issue was recently debated in terms of the red light
cameras proposed for the city, but I have more to say on this issue.

Red light running is a serious problem in this city. Serious. I've lived in
many U.S. cities, to include Portland, Madison and New York City. I've
driven in Europe, Central America, and in Africa. I know drivers. And
nowhere I've ever driven, anywhere, have drivers been worse for red light
running than here in Minneapolis. No where. On the way home from my work
downtown today I witnessed THREE!!! drivers go through red lights.... so
egregiously, I might add, that my light was already green (yep, these were
at delayed stop lights). Drivers in Africa have more respect for red lights
than many drivers in Minneapolis. I mean that.

Red lights are merely a suggestion to many drivers in this city. Apparently
drivers stop at red lights if they feel like it or if it suits their
timetable. And I'll also say this: red light running in Minneapolis is a
ticking time bomb. Mark my words: it is only a matter of time before
somebody is killed in this city by a red light runner. It's gonna happen as
sure as anything, and we're all going to stand as a city wringing our hands.

I'll be honest with this group: I'm mostly a card-carrying Libertarian,
though I consider myself a "big tent" Libertarian which means that I'm open
to reason on many issues. In my heart, I'm not a big fan of red light
cameras, especially considering their use as a revenue enhancement tool. But
I'd support them if the bugs, like quick yellows, are worked out. Somebody
is going to die very soon, and if the cameras help keep peole from dying,
let's get them going.

This is a serious Minneapolis issue, folks, and one that directly impacts
quality of life here.

Mike Thompson
Windom

REMINDERS:
1. Be civil! Please read the NEW RULES at http://www.e-democracy.org/rules.
If you think a member is in violation, contact the list manager at
[EMAIL PROTECTED] before continuing it on the list.