rpgoldman stated:
Actually, those buildings are all in a different neighborhood, on the
North and West of the lake and don't put stresses on the CARAG
neighborhood (my old neighborhood).  I can't speak to the issues of
the neighborhood where those buildings are, but it just isn't the same
one as the new development.

Nick Reponds:
The neighborhood that the Lagoon project is actually in, approved the project as did its council member. I would think that more wieght should have been given to their judgement but clearly that has not been the case.

I have a few questions for opponents of this project and other like it (I'm looking at you Loring Park):

How does the denial of this project serve the public interest of the greater city?

Could someone pleases explain why a tall building with allowable density (which can be demonstrated to result in less shadowing than a bulkier, shorter building) is such a bad thing on a parking lot?

To the extent people argue that it is the character (surely a subjective thing at best) that would be impacted I would like to know why the character of a parking lot is considered more desireably than a 13 story building? For example the MacDonalds is less than 13 stories but I can't imagine that is what people are talking about when they refer to character.

What justification does the city council have for intentionally keeping a business and potential residents from locating here in a time that the city is in financial distress? (that is the known direct result of their actions)

How does the city council plan to make up the difference in tax revenues that would have been generated under the original proposal and the project that actually gets built (if any)? If the office component is scaled back that is a significant reduction in property tax revenues due to the higher rate offices pay. The only real options would be to raise property taxes or somehow get more state aid (unlikely at best)

Density is going to have to precede transit in this city (political reality). To the extent we will not support major increases in density to increase potential ridership and clustering of uses, how can we justify transit investment to the legistlature? If we cannot convice the legislature that there is sufficient reason currently to invest in expanded transit, what actions are we taking to demonstrate that there is or soon will be reason? I don't think its a reasonable strategy to hang our hopes on a dramatic shift in leadership ideology at the state level to help us out.

I look forward to your responses.

Sincerely,

Nick Frank
Elliot Park