Michelle Hill responds:I think most people, who read the paper, can already tell which candidate that newspaper is supporting, long before they announce their endorsement. Their articles are always slanted and they tend to be selective in which issues they report, especially if the issue cast their candadate in a bad light. So, for me, I acknowledge their endorsements, but it holds
little, if any, value.

Read the paper, news that was reported frequently, like crime issues, are reported less often during election year, if it cast their candidate in a bad light. Check the crime stats in your area, then compare them to what you read in
the paper now, verses what you read last year ot the year before.

If Michelle is right, than what shall we make of the articles from Sunday's Strib - particularly the one leading with the Mayor leaving his car running & letting it roll away? It conveyed the fact that the Mayor, though well meaning, is ultimately flighty and a lightweight, and Commissioner McLaughlin is in for the long haul and a heavyweight. Whoever they endorse for mayor, the Strib captured the reason I'm a McLaughlin supporter better than the campaign has been able to do.

I did find it weird that they would praise the council for its newfound agreeableness, then choose Cam Gordon over Cara Letofsky because the former would challenge the council more than the latter. Maybe I interpreted that wrong. (I, like most folks in Ward 2, am honored to have two such sterling candidates. But I see the council's newfound agreeableness as a sign that people aren't doing their homework.)

IMHO, the Strib's endorsement matters a lot if they phrase it well and have some catchy reasoning that resonates with people. Not because it should matter, but because it's where so many people get their information. I put very little value on much of anything about the Strib lately, but I have to say that I value their evaluation process - there are a lot of years of observing the city represented on the panel. And they aren't single-issue endorsers. (Which can get you into some strange situations. Witness the Gente de Minnesota endorsement of Randy Kelly.)

Becca Vargo Daggett
Seward