Mark said: "A large metro area needs user-friendly, cost-effective public transit, but to assign the word 'justice' to that goal is a very big stretch. It implies that that public transit is an entitlement, and the tax base (collective) needs to accomodate the needs in the name of 'justice'. It also suggests, I think, an underlying belief that nobody should ever be inconvenienced or have to solve problems on their own. Not being able to match bus schedules or LRT routes to your personal needs does not rise to the level of oppression."

I wonder if that was the thinking in New Orleans as well. It certainly resulted in an oppressive situation for the poor who did not have cars and could not reach the buses to evacuate. But perhaps they should have thought about that inconvenience in advance and tried to solve the problem on their own by some creative means.

Cities nearly always have a certain population that do not own cars either for convenience or because they cannot afford to. In my neighborhood, 21% of those in the workforce used public transportation to get to work (2000 census). 27% of the population lives below the poverty line. Public transportation is important. Certainly, it is not a "right." However, since it is PUBLIC transportation, it needs to serve the public fairly. When significant geographic areas of the city have come to rely on bus service, changes in service need to take into account the impact it will have. People buy their homes or live in areas based on the amenities that are available that are important to them. It is not easy to sell your house or give up your home and find a new location where bus service matches your work schedule. And it's really hard on the kids.

Here's a radical idea: We have a $.50 "downtown zone" fare on Metro Transit that allows people to ride the bus anywhere in downtown for a really cheap price. Why can't we have a "neighborhood zone" fare like that in poor areas where people must use public transportation to run local errands near their home? Is it really fair to charge downtown residents and workers $.50 for a short ride while we make those in poor neighborhoods pay $1.25 to do their grocery shopping?

Dottie Titus
Jordan neighborhood