Robert Halfhill wrote:
   "Access to adequate public transportation is a right.  If you think of it
in collective terms, we can either collectively provide for adequate
transportation for the people living in this city or do it the way we do
now, with most people providing for their transportation individually and
clogging the streets and polluting the air with a plethora of private
automobiles."

How can anything which requires the participation of another individual (or
a group of people) be a "right?" Rights are inalienable. That means you
possess the same rights whether you are alone in the wilderness, or in the
urban core. They don't change with circumstance, and you cannot demand
someone else do something to make your rights possible. It can't be a right
if you can't do it! It can't be a right if you can't do it yourself!
Rights are concepts like freedom of speech, freedom of motion (within your
capabilities - you cannot have the right to fly like a bird, for example),
freedom to defend ones-self, freedom to choose with whom you associate (that
doesn't mean the individuals you choose have to associate with you!).
Freedom to make a living, to make transactions with another willing person,
etc.

Public accomodations cannot be a right. They can't be enjoyed alone in the
wilderness.

If you go hiking in the mountains, and get tired, and want to catch a train
back home, are your rights violated because the national park isn't
cris-crossed with tracks?

The idea that public transportation is a right is as ridiculous as the
notion that I have the right to my neighbor driving me where ever I wish to
go!

Dan McGrath
Longfellow
http://www.shegstad.us