-- Original Message ----- From: "David Brauer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Sincere question for those who know more than I:

Is there an individual-contributor limit to a Political Action Committee
that might spend money in a Minneapolis race?

[TB] The PAC can spend as much as it want (has) if it is not coordinated with the candidate or candidate's campaign. It needs to be a true "independent expenditure." Its from a court decision based on free speech, the PAC has a constitutional right to make its opinions known.

An individual is not limited in how much s/he contributes to the PAC (for a candidate, technically the limit is what a candidate can accept from an individual). That's essentially the same free speech thing, you can't regulate what I can give but you can limit what a candidate can accept.

Terrell Brown
Minneapolis (Loring Park), MN

"Should any political party attempt to abolish Social Security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes that you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." - President Dwight D. Eisenhower (R), 1954