> A stream cipher which xor's the data with a pseudo random sequence would
> be save in this regard.

The moders solutions (NT5+, DES/AES-256+ in SQLite3Cypher &
OpenVPN,..) are declared 100% crypto reliable. But the main problem of
IT-security now is not how to encrypt but how to maintain crypto keys.
Especially on Win-32 since Windows machines are easily infected by
viruses which allow 1) reading/writing any data even system ones & 2)
key logging (spying passwords which unlock private RSA keys &
certificates),..

Who knows, are there free-of-charge & reliable software solutions from
key logging ?

AS to JFS, AFAIK, it doesn't perform user-data journalling only
meta-data. In this case, a user file may easily be truncated to zero
size etc - me encountered it with ReiserFS.

PS:
Me think, the discussed project is very-very challenging - it requires
a lof & at zero price both software & additional hardware:)