On 2016-04-12 10:10, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> It uses the LLVM backend where it could be possible to define nested stack
> variables if I read the code right (not tested yet). gcc also supports nested
> functions AFAIK, I don't know if outer variables are visible in gdb.

I just tested with Lazarus IDE. It managed to watch the lSpaceLeft
variable even inside the nested function. See attached screenshot. I'm
not sure what trickery they did to accomplish that.

On a side note:
  I do know Martin Friebe is working on the native Object Pascal
debugger, fpdebug (1). So did I (2) at one stage as a continuation of
Duby. Martin Friebe apparently took the best bits and rolled it into
one. Lazarus can now use GDB or fpdebug or a combination of both.

fpdebug included in Lazarus is definitely making good progress. You seem
very knowledgeable about debuggers too. Maybe two Martin's are better
than one <wink>, and fpdebug could be moved into its own stand-alone
repository for easier external contributions. That could benefit MSEide too.

(1) https://github.com/graemeg/lazarus/tree/upstream/components/fpdebug
(2) https://github.com/graemeg/fpdebug

Regards,
  - Graeme -