From: thecodepo...@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 10:37:45 -0700
Subject: Re: [mssms] MS Patching
To: mssms@lists.myitforum.com

Hi Chad,  We are deploying the full rollups to our infrastructure. My
understanding is that each month will have 2 rollups on patch Tuesday. Security
only and Security + Quality. The Security only are non-cumulative, the Security
+ Quality are cumulative. Each third Tuesday will see a "preview" rollup with
the quality updates in them that will be included in the next month's Security
+ Quality rollup. (Obviously, I am only talking about the OS specific rollups
here.) We decided to take the approach of going all in, since we have a DEV
testing environment.  As for ADRs, we don't use them for anything "production"
related, but I just started using them to handle downloading and distributing
updates out to our infrastructure. This way when my patch admins build their
monthly patching cycles, they don't have to worry about downloads and
distribution to DPs.  One thing to consider with the rollups is, choose one or
the other. I only have anecdotal evidence of this, but if you deploy both to
collections, it will mess with your compliance reporting. So pick one or the
other. In all honesty, unless you have a known reason, I don't know why you
wouldn't deploy the full rollups. (Obviously with heavy testing...)  The blogs
Robert listed earlier are a great primer on the new process.
-Erik
On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 3:34 PM, Chad Beard <cbe...@artc.com.au> wrote:

Apologies if I’ve missed a previous thread.

But what is everyone’s thoughts on the new MS patching procedure and how are
you handling it in ConfigMgr.

Currently we have an ADR setup that scans for Critical and Security’s released
in the last 14 days.

Also wondering how people are utilising the monthly rollup patch that gets
released and if they’re excluding it.

Chad Beard
Senior Infrastructure Support - (Data Centre)
Enterprise Services

P.  0882305155
M.  +61 434 076 370

E.
cbe...@artc.com.au

Australian Rail Track Corporation
11 Sir Donald Bradman Drive
Keswick Terminal SA 5035

artc.com.au
The information in this email and any attachments to it is confidential to the
intended recipient and may be privileged. Receipt by a person other than
 the intended recipient does not waive confidentiality or privilege. Unless you
are the intended recipient, you are not authorised to disseminate, copy, retain
or rely on the whole or any part of this communication. If you have received
this communication in
 error please notify ARTC on +61 8 8217 4366. While we have taken various steps
to alert us to the presence of computer viruses we do not guarantee that this
communication is virus free.