>I may be mistaken, but if I can remember
>Amiga only could display four 8x8 mono-
>chrome sprites at once.

Eight 16 x any height 4 color sprites (or four 16 x any height 16 color) in
the same raster line, to be exact. They were expanded in the AGA gen to a
width of 64 pixels.

> This was designed
>mainly for mouse pointer. But with raster
>effects (is this how it's called?)

Sprite reusing or recycling using the display coprocessor (Copper).

>>There's a game which even lists the lack of sprites as a feature!!!
>
>Akin maybe? Sprites like that (big and multilayer) cannot be made using
>hardware sprites.

No. A Sir Dan promo demo.

Lack of sprites can NEVER be a feature, and thus it should haven't been
listed like that. Big moving bitmap objects could be listed as a feature
(even though I don't agree), existing together with small sprites, but
never list your SKILL limitations as HARDWARE limitations and on top of
that say it's a feature.

PC users were playing this game in late 80s: my computer cannot run games,
so my computer is a SERIOUS computer -> lack of games listed as a FEATURE.

And now they're using their PC like a kind of bedroom desktop CONSOLE.

>But in my opinion, there is nothing cool about multicolor mode in itself.
>What is cool, is that you have the speed to do things you couldn't do
>fullscreen in a higher resolution.

It's not cool by itself, but can do fx that would aid in giving software an
"MSX touch" like the attributes did in ZX Spectrum. I'm talking about using
this mode a little bit more than 0% (on screen wipes, garbage, screen
fades, pixelation fx, anything appropiate that could also give the coder
some kind of style).

Kiss you lot.

--
Madonna Mark Two
"Martin Galway means to me what Elvis meant to Sigue Sigue Sputnik"