> > > Is it possible to split the display in several
text/pseudobitmap/bitmap
> > > modes (say SCREEN 4 and SCREEN 5) without losing sync?

This is actually possible, back in the old days I wrote a couple of demo
screens using such tricks, including one where the top part of the screen
was some effect made in screen 3 and the bottom was a scroll text in screen
5 if I remember well. If you're using VDP copy commands, you have to do it
while the screen refreshing is in screen 5 mode because once you switch to
screen 3, the bahaviour of the copy command is pretty much unpredictable.

Greets

Olivier