I didn't know about this shifting. The VDP does have to read 4 bytes first
before
it can determine the colors to display, that is in every YJK enabled mode.
This is because of the 12 bit base color that is spreadout over 4 bytes.

> I guess there is some internal buffer that converts normal pixel values to
> YJK colors.

Probably.

> In the FF7 Slide Show (on FutureDisk 35), I used the "set adjust" register
> to scroll the screen 4 pixels to the left during YJK, so that YJK and
> non-YJK pictures would both be centered.

Just send me the diskimage and I'll see what I can do about it.

> > Btw, it won't go out of sync with NLMSX...
>
> Do you mean it will display correctly or just that it won't hang?

Screen 0 has different timings than the other screens, in fact, one screen 0
line
is smaller than the other modes. See the V9938 Technical Databook for exact
timings.
One line in screen 0 (40 columns) is 40 * 6 pixels = 240 pixels. While this
is
256 pixels in the graphical modes.

I was just curious how the VDP would react on a splitscreen that displays
both screen 0
as wel as screen 7 or 12. But I do know that NLMSX displays both screen
modes
without any problem. Maybe it has some nasty side effects on a real MSX.

Frits