> > How could you avoid programs to access memory areas
> > that don't belong to
> > them if your MMU is implemented in software? How
> > could you stop user
> > programs to overwrite the MMU code and make it work
> > as the user want?
>  I thought the kernel used to control the
> communication between software and hardware.

        And also between software and software, WHEN THE HARDWARE ALLOWS
IT.

> It could
> be implemented with semaphores.

        Of course, not with a Z80!
        The only solution is the "Z80-interpreter" written in Z80 ASM
proposed by Alex Wulms.

>  Not according to the documentation. By now only LILO
> still uses non-"C" code according to the docs.

        I think the CPU cache management routines are written in ASM...

>  Applications have access to what the kernel give
> access to, thus, you get the picture.

        Again, only WHEN THE CPU HAS THE NECESSARY FEATURES FOR
IMPLEMENTING THIS.
        Remember: we're talking about Z80.

Adriano Camargo Rodrigues da Cunha               ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
Engenharia de Computacao - UNICAMP
http://www.adrpage.cjb.net           http://if.you.dont.like.msx.usuck.com

* MMU error. Enter any 11-digit prime number to continue. *

****
Problems? contact [EMAIL PROTECTED] See also http://www.faq.msxnet.org/