From: Hans Otten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "'[EMAIL PROTECTED]'" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RE: Cartridge question
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 08:21:31 +0100

Hi Brendan,

NEVER insert a cartridge in a powered running MSX.
Power off and then insert it.
The chance of destroying the video chip that way is about 100%.

If you disable the cartridge with a switch (which means opening the
cartridge, soldering a switch betweeen the ROM select signal and the
connector) then what you want is possible.
The MSX will not see the cartridge, boot in its normal.
To get the cartridge working close the switch and call the boot.
Something like (in Basic)
def usr=0 : u=usr(0)
will do a boot.

More details on booting in the MSX Red book (see the faq where it is)

Hans