On Jan 8, 2008, at 7:07 PM, Junio C Hamano wrote:

Steffen Prohaska <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

msysgit installs plain git.  core.autocrlf is unset.  Whatever plain
git's default is, this is msysgit's default, too.

That sounds like a mistake if you are installing a port to a
platform whose native line ending convention is different from
where plain git natively runs on (i.e. UNIX).

We failed to agree on a better default and as the lengthy
discussion documents, the best default isn't obvious.

I don't think a solution will be found by declaring one platform
native (UNIX) and all other platform non-native.  The question to
answer is how to support cross-platform projects.  A valid
solution should never corrupt data unless the user explicitly
told git to do so.  I don't believe it is a valid solution to set
core.autocrlf=true on Windows and tell the users: "Well, in its
default settings, git sometimes corrupts your data on Windows.
Maybe you want to switch to Linux because this is the native
platform where data corruption will never happen."

I'd prefer the "warn/fail" proposal.

        Steffen