On 30 Jun 2006, at 11:18, Chris Mearns wrote:

they are lighter, very much costlier and they allow the tyre to be folded up. Mostly they are for persuading fat and unfit riders that they are saving weight in such a way that will advantage them. Some probably claim they can identify a certain zip in the ride that reflects this weight loss at the rim. I'm sceptical, I think I;ve felt the difference on a 17lb carbon road bike, but I'd be astonishe to detect a difference riding muddy off raod conditiojns

To further muddy the distinction sometimes the tyre carcass is constructed differently for kevlar tyres. You know the canvas stuff that shows through then a tyre is nearly worn out? That's of a finer pitch (and may be kevlar instead of something else) on some kevlar beaded tyres. The reasoning is that as well as making the tyre lighter it makes it more compliant and therefore more grippy.

Like Chris I've never noticed any difference at all - but if you like to keep your CDs in the freezer 'cos you've heard they play better like that you may want the extra reassurance :)

--
Andy Armstrong, hexten.net

_______________________________________________
mtbne-l mailing list
[email protected]
http://www.hexten.net/mailman/listinfo/mtbne-l

Reply via email to