Thanks George. I already use IMB but its not as simple as I require. I
also found http://www.mcs.anl.gov/research/projects/mpi/mpi-test/tsuite.html,
but again that was full of bitty tests, and not as comprehensive as I
wanted.

So I've starting writing a single file test covering the functions. It
reveals all sorts of obscure functions!

John