On 10/22/13 3:16 AM, Robert Bielik wrote:
Hi Robert,

robert bristow-johnson skrev 2013-10-21 18:13:
this is interesting, but i am not so sure i agree with it. i've always been going under the assumption that the grain size is 2N, twice the length of the input period (and overlapping complementary windows so that at a shift of 0 cents, there is perfect reconstruction of the original). but i always thought that if upshift, there would be more than 2 overlapping grains. for a maximum of 1 octave up, i've used a maximum of 4 overlapping grains.

but i am *very* interested to find out if/that my previous M.O. is wrong.

Can't really argue with you if it is wrong or not, I just remember that that's how I used to do it. It *might* have to do with loudness, i.e. that when upshifting, there would be a perceived increase in loudness due to many overlapping grains, however my memory may fail me here... :)

just to be clear, 2 overlapping grains mean, at most, unity gain because they have complementary windowing to create the grains.

there *is* an increased energy or power in the upshifting. this PSOLA/Lent/Hamon method is intended, i think, for pitch shifting of vocals and in such a way that they don't sound like Alvin the Chipmunk (upshifting) or Satan from Hell (sufficient downshifting). i think, in the vocal model, higher notes *are* louder than lower notes, often in a single phrase of singing.

but it's nothing that can't get adjusted with a smoothed shift-interval-dependent gain. or it could be shift-interval, input pitch and loudness, and even affected by a "brightness" timbre measurement (smoothed highpass dB amplitude minus lowpass dB amplitude). mix those parameters together in some reasonable manner to get a loudness adjustment that might fix an undesired increase in loudness.

or just hook a compressor onto it, i dunno.

--

r b-j                  r...@audioimagination.com