From: music-dsp-boun...@music.columbia.edu
[mailto:music-dsp-boun...@music.columbia.edu] On Behalf Of gm
Sent: 28. september 2017 16:47
To: music-dsp@music.columbia.edu
Subject: Re: [music-dsp] Reverb, magic numbers and random generators #2 the Go
approach

And here's how I've been doing it before the RNG approach, I present you:

The Go strategy of impulse spacing

If the delay loop period is 1, in a first step this places the impulses so that
consecutive impulses fall exactly in between already delayed impulses within
the first periods, by setting the ratio "a" according to

Na mod = a/2 and Na mod 1 = 1 - a/2 for N = 2,3,4...

which gives the series a = 2/(2n-1) and 2 = 4/(2n+1) :

2/3, 2/5, 2/7, 2/9... and 4/5, 4/7, 4/9, 4/11...

Note that reciprocals work in a similar way.
The first delay in this strategy can also be set to a = 1/2 which gives ratios
of 0.5, 0.66667 and 0.8, or pitch differences of -12, -7.02 and -3.86 semitones.
We see the octave is neatly divided by this strategy.

With rational ratios like this, the pattern would repeat quickly and impulses
would fall exactly on delayed impulses after a few iterations.
Therefore we now carefully detune the ratios so that consecutive repetition
cycles do not coincide.

There are also strategies for detuning and to avoid beating and flanging as
well as certain magic numbers which fulfill this and additional criteria.

Once a satisfying couple or triplet has been found the ratios can be reused on
additional early diffusion stages, scaled by a matching strategy like Schröders
1/3^n scaling.

Comments?