I don't know if you're "doing it the right way", however, pitch shift by
bin shifting has
the following problems:

-edge effects (using windowing can help)
- pitch shift up puts some frequencies above nyquist limit, they need to be
elided
- the quantised pitch shift is only an approximation of a continuous pitch
shift because
the sinc shaped realisation of a pure sine wave in the quantised frequency
domain can occur
at different distances from the bin centers for different sine waves,
shifting bins doesn't do this
and thus isn't 100% faithful.

>From the sound clip, I'd guess that you might have some other problems
related to normalising the
synthesis volume/power

The best quality commonly used pitch shift comes from a phase vocoder TSM:
stretch the time
and then resample (or vice versa) so that the duration of input equals that
of output.  Phase vocoders
however vary a lot in the quality of sound they produce, some are even as
bad or worse than the example
you provided.

Hope that helps
Scott

On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 at 02:34, gm <g...@voxangelica.net> wrote:

> Now I tried pitch shifting in the frequency domain instead of time
> domain to get rid of one transform step, but it sounds bad and phasey etc.
>
> I do it like this:
>
> multiply phase difference with frequency factor and add to accumulated
> phase,
> and shift bins according to frequency factor
>
> again there is a formant correction, and the phase is reset to the
> original phase
> if the amplitude is larger than it was in the previous frame
>
> with a 1024 FFT size it doesn't work at 44 kHz, it works @ 22050 kHz but
> sounds
> like there is a flanger going on, and especially the bass seems odd
> https://soundcloud.com/traumlos_kalt/freq-domain-p-shift-test-1/s-QZBEr
>
> first original then resynthesized
>
> is this the quality that is to be expected with this approach?
> am I doing it the right way?

Scott Cotton
http://www.iri-labs.com