Brian Schweitzer wrote:

> ....Ok, here's just a thought on how we can do this, and at the same time,
> simplify the 2 AR pages in to one (I don't know how many times I've tried
> walk people through how to even get to the batch AR page...).
>
> http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y48/brianfreud/?action=view&current=ARSuggestion.jpg
>
> Each of the three grey boxes is mutually exclusive, so you can only select
> "This AR applies to the entire release" (non-fuzzy release-level ARs) OR
> "This AR applies to some tracks, but I'm not sure which ones" (however we
> word it, for fuzzy release-level ARs) OR you can select 1 or more tracks -
> but you can't do any two or three at the same time.

I think this is a really encouraging direction to move in.  It would both
simplify the UI and make it more productive.

The approach of having square checkboxes where you can check only one is a
little bit dissonant with the conventions of computer and web dialog boxes.
The dissonance might make it a bit harder for editors to understand.  This
is really a three-way choice followed by a selection of one or more tracks.

The conventional way to express this is with a three-way radio button
choice, represented by round circles, exactly one of which is selected with
a dot in it:
 * "This AR applies to the entire release" or "release as a whole"
(non-fuzzy release-level ARs)
 * "This AR applies to some tracks, but I'm not sure which ones"
 * "This AR applies to just the following tracks, not the others"
Then under the third radio button, indented a bit, have the list of square
check boxes, one per Track.  I suggest the "check all tracks" be at the top
and the bottom, and also include an "uncheck all tracks". GMail has a good
way of doing this with unobtrusive text links. I suggest all the tracks be
checked by default.

The data model under this is that an AR which can apply to either Track or
Release has a true/false attribute, which records the difference between the
first two options above.  The third option is reflected by pointing the AR
at Tracks instead of a Release.

Note that this approach does nothing to resolve when editors should use the
first option versus using the third option with all tracks checked. It also
does nothing to guide editors who might see the second option as a way to
duck out of doing enough research to know exactly which tracks the AR
describes.

Brian Schweitzer wrote:

> If we also can come up with a list of which ARs can't be non-fuzzy at the
> release level, or those which only should ever apply to release or tracks,
> we could also have it set so depending on the AR, either the non-fuzzy
> release checkbox or the tracks section could have the checkbox greyed out.

Yes, good.  Have the UI do what work it can to enforce the data model.