On 4 Jan 2008 at 11:14, Chris B wrote:

> in any case, that's what i mean when i'm talking about inheritance vs
> propagation

While "inheritance" is a closer approximation of the concept than
"propagation", it's still pretty wrong. :)

Inheritance expresses a specificity relationship.  For example,
"Abyssinian" inherits from "Cat" inherits from "Animal" expresses that
an Abyssinian is a Cat and a Cat is an Animal.  I don't think anyone
would argue that a "Track" is a "Release".  I'd say the closest common
programmer-lingo analogue would be a cascade a la CSS.

Now that I think about it, there are other aspects of this discussion
that remind me of CSS, such as CSS properties do not cascade to
contained elements (release ARs that should not cascade to tracks).

--
-:-:- David K. Gasaway
-:-:- Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]