On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 1:55 AM, Lauri Watts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> n Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Paul C. Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  > Hi all:
>  >
>  >  I'm beginning to see more redundant Wikipedia links in various languages
>  >  in MB, and as I've seen voting in both directions when faced with such
>  >  AR adds, I'm seeking to clarify what may become a reasonable policy for
>  >  Wikipedia ARs in MB.
>  >
>  >  Perhaps to illustrate what I consider the worst case scenario I am aware
>  >  of, will all due respect to Brian,
>  >  http://musicbrainz.org/show/artist/relationships.html?artistid=11285
>  >  seems like the example of Wikipedia-links-run-amok in MB.
>
>  Current practise by the majority of editors is to only include English and
>  the band's native language, and perhaps any others that are notably
>  more extensive (for instance, I know a Canadian band who have had
>  multiple top ten hits in Poland, but nowhere else, so they have a link
>  to English and Polish.)
>
>  Other languages are linked from each wp page we link to anyway, 99% of them
>  are translations of the English or original language, or stubs with
>  nothing in.  There
>  are few cases where the name changes between languages, and with no guideline
>  there's no reason to not add those few only, instead of every link to
>  every artist.
>
>  Some editors disagree with this practise and will surely follow up
>  this email with
>  a very long one explaining 437 corner cases why this is a ridiculous
>  policy, so I'll
>  just leave it at that.
>

>  >  At the moment, I don't consider this to be a burning issue for the MB
>  >  community; it's something that, as I'm voting on edits, I am just
>  >  becoming aware of. At the very least, your advice can help me decide
>  >  whether I am a yes, no or abstain voter when I come across these types
>  >  of edits.
>
>  Personally I vote no, when I can be bothered, but those most likely to
>  indiscriminately add extraneous wikipedia links don't put those edits
>  up to vote.

Mozart as example of extreme case aside, I don't see myself (or
anyone, normally) adding every single possible page.  But I do think
the real question isn't "which language(s)", or "should we have all
these languages", but "is this data correct"?

Is the url linking artist foo to a Wikipedia entry for artist foo?  If
yes, it's a valid URL AR.  It shouldn't matter if we already have a
link to a different language at Wikipedia, or how many Wikipedia links
we have for artist foo, so long as each is independently correct and
unique.

Brian