On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 11:11 AM, Kuno Woudt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 09:35:07AM +0200, Jan van Thiel wrote:
>> 2008/6/26 Kuno Woudt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> > I would like to have an AR to group multiple discs of a single releases.
>> > This would be intended as a temporary solution until we get proper
>> > release and boxset support with NGS.
>> >
>> > Considering this, not all that much time should be wasted on it.
>> >
>> > In it's simplest form, I would suggest an AR like this:
>> >
>> > album B  "is part of a release with"  album A
>>
>> What is the advantage over adding this as an annotation to each of the
>> discs involved?
>
> Machine readable.   In my current musicbrainz related scripts I'm
> grouping multiple discs of a single release together based on their
> release titles.  I have encountered many releases which don't neatly
> fit the (disc 1, disc 2) or (title, bonus disc) schemes, these
> releases confuse my script -- and instead of coding increasingly
> complicated heuristics it would be cleaner if I had _some_ structured
> way to record this information with musicbrainz and be able to query
> it.
>
> IMO, an AR for this is a simple solution which can be implemented now
> with relative ease, and will be easily converted to NGS whenever that
> materializes.

Some things I thought could use some discussion:

1. How will we link 8-disc sets?  Link discs 2-8 to disc 1?  That
might work... if you visit the first disc, it pulls the other discs
from the AR and if you visit one of the other discs it pulls from disc
1 and all disc 1's related discs.

2. Is it appropriate to link bonus discs with a release even though
not all releases of a release came with the bonus disc?  I guess it
wouldn't hurt and would be interesting if you could see the different
bonus discs that came with a release.

I'd definitely like to see something like this and I think it is a
step in the right direction (grouping multiple-disc releases).

-Aaron