David DeSimone on Sat, Feb 06, 1999 at 10:10:36PM -0600:
> > What relevance does the message date have to the filename of the
> > message folder?  The default $index_format is:
> >
> >         %4C %Z %{%b %d} %-15.15L (%4l) %s
> >
> > And I'm trying to understand why `%b' is between those braces, when
> > date would not affect its output...
>
> What you have missed is that Mutt does not do the expansion of what's
> between the %{...}.  From the manual:
>
>        %{fmt} the date and time of the message is converted to
>               sender's time zone, and ``fmt'' is expanded by the
>               system call ``strftime''; a leading bang disables
>               locales
>
> >From the strftime(3) man page:
>
>            %b        Locale's abbreviated month name.
>            %d        Day of the month as a decimal number [01,31].
>
> Now it should all start to come clear.  :)

I don't understand what %d is for then.  It's specified as being the
date and time, as specified by $date_format, itself a string parsed by
strftime().  It this can be accomplished as easily using the bracketized
methods, then why does %d exist?

--
Scott