I have been using mutt on a number of different systems for quite a
long while (since something like version 0.7x I think).  It has served
me well and has become steadily better.  However I am now seriously
looking at other MUAs and one of the main reasons is mutt's minimal
POP3 support.

Let me explain my situation, I have a home (Linux mostly) system, I
work every day at a Sun workstation and I have this shell account
which I can telnet into from both home and work.  I have a number of
different ISP accounts and other places from which I collect mail via
POP3.

In an ideal world I would have a single ISP account which provided
IMAP4 and I could get all the other accounts to send my mail there and
do everything using IMAP4.  However this is the real world and ISPs
are not all that keen on providing IMAP4.

So - what I am beginning to do is move over to a mail program which
has a good POP3 implementation (I'm pretty well settled on tkrat at
the moment though Mahogany shows promise).  This allows me to set up
folders in my mail program which correspond to the POP3 mailboxes, I
can read my POP3 mail from anywhere and delete the unwanted messages
but *leave* the ones that I want to see still when I'm somewhere else.

Mutt as it stands simply can't handle this situation well.  It's also
more difficult (though quite possible) in mutt to set up different
'personalities'.  My ideal would be a mailer which allows
customisation of most settings on a per folder basis, some of the
better MUAs are now moving towards this sort of approach (Eudora 4 Pro
in Windows, Mahogany in X and Windows).  Mutt can do this but it's not
so 'personality' oriented.

I'm not necessarily saying that mutt should change direction but I
think better POP3 support should be considered.

--
Chris Green ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Home: [EMAIL PROTECTED]           Work: [EMAIL PROTECTED]