Nathan Cullen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on Mon, 20 Sep 1999:
> What is the generally accepted message length for plain text messages?  I've
> heard several numbers (72 chars, 80, 79, etc..).

72 is the one I've seen most.  In general, "less than 80".  The
reasoning for 72, which is quite a bit less than 80, is that you can
have several levels of quoting and it the line will still fit within
80 chars.

> Also, what would be the
> entry in my .vimrc to enforce this text width?

:set textwidth=72

Mikko
--
// Mikko Hänninen, aka. Wizzu  //  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  //  http://www.iki.fi/wiz/
// The Corrs list maintainer  //   net.freak  //   DALnet IRC operator /