On Mon, Sep 20, 1999 at 10:57:30PM -0500, Jeremy Blosser wrote:

> 1) setting your textwidth is out of consideration for those that receive
> your mail, whereas having vim and using it to reformat mail is your concern
> when you read your mail

Maximum line width is specified in RFC1855:

 http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html

  Limit line length to fewer than 65 characters and end a line with a
  carriage return.

I had someone send a message to my mailing list with a 2047+ character
line who complained that it was truncated. :)

FWIW, Jed has "smart formatting" in its mail mode which will reformat
a paragraph (Esc-q) by stripping the quote character, reformatting
the paragraph, and then re-inserting the quote character. If that's
not good enough, par is available.

-rex