Marc / supio --

...and then supio said...
% Hello,

Hi there!

%
% I'm using mutt 1.0.1i.
% Every time i quit a mailbox containing new mails, the "N" flag of this
% mailbox is gone (in the mailbox index).

Well, that's the function of quit as defined by default, so the
developers are pretty happy with your statement :-)  At least, as long as
the "N" changes to "O" rather than changing to " ".

% Is there a way to keep this flag, so you can always see in which mailbox
% new (or unreaded) mails are (or change it to "O")?

I know of one way for sure and think I know of another -- perhaps only
available by patch.

The first way is to just e'x'it instead of 'q'uit when you want to get
out of mutt; all changes (like flags) are thrown away.  If you want
deleted messages to be purged and previously new mails that have been
read to stay read, you can use '$' to sync the mailbox before you exit.

I have a terrible habit of accidentally hitting 'q' while reading $MAIL
and thus trashing all of my N flags, so I added

  folder-hook .     bind index q quit
  folder-hook $MAIL bind index q sync-mailbox

to my .muttrc since I *do* like syncing the mailbox (I do it often and
automatically, just like esc-W-a in vim to run my "write file" macro and
start editing again).  Works for me.

The other way is to set nomark_old (I think) so that new messages are not
changed to old messages when you quit.  I haven't played with it, and I
*think* that mark_old is part of the standard mutt distro and therefore
can be unset as above or with "unset mark_old", but I haven't played with
it.

%
% BTW: is it possible to see in the index if there are marked messages
% ("!" flag) in a mailbox?

Before you open the mailbox with mutt, you mean?  Not to my knowledge,
since mutt doesn't scan message headers until it's actually opening the
mailbox (much to the chagrin of many folks who want to see boxes with new
mail that are being touched by other things like biff).

If you want highlighting of flagged/marked messages once you're in the
mailbox, that's easy.

%
% thx!

HTH & HAND

%
% --
% greetings . . supio ( Marc Noller ) | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://oipus.net |

:-D
--
David T-G                       * It's easier to fight for one's principles
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED]      * than to live up to them. -- fortune cookie

PGP signature