At  1:57 PM EDT on September 22 Eugene Paskevich sent off:
> On Fri, Sep 22, 2000 at 08:54:44AM +0000, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> >  ... or use this little shell script -
> >
> > #!/bin/sh
> > WHOAMI=`whoami`
> > if [ -f /tmp/sig.$USER ]
> > then
> > rm -f /tmp/sig.$USER
> > fi
> > cat $HOME/.signature > /tmp/sig.$USER
> > /usr/games/fortune -s >>/tmp/sig.$USER
> > /usr/local/bin/mutt
>       That's very nice but I'd like my signature to be changed every time
>       I compose a new message. Not every session of mutt.

Then modify the above script to be wrapper for the editor that mutt calls
instead of being an editor for mutt.  For example my editor=editor, a script
that calls emacsclient if the server is running, and jed otherwise.

For more control (i.e. what if fortune gives you something you don't want to
send out, and you want to try again) check out my mutt page:
http://astro.utoronto.ca/~reid/mutt/

--
I've never had major knee surgery on any other part of my body.
  - Winston Bennett, University of Kentucky basketball forward