Quoting Brian Salter-Duke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, who wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 10:48:57AM +1000, Jeff Turner wrote:
> > If one uses POP3 to download mail, then filtering can be done with procmail,
> > and everyone's happy. However I'd like to use IMAP, since I access mail from
> > various computers.
> >
> > So the question is, how can one do IMAP-based email filtering? How do most
> > people do it? Procmail scripts on the server? Courier-specific IMAP filtering
> > languages[1]?
> >
> > Perhaps it should be a separate utility, invoked before mutt, that applies a
> > local set of procmail rules to a remote set of IMAP mailboxes. Does anyone know
> > of anything like this?
> >
> > [1] http://search.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-showalter-sieve-12.txt

> I do not need this at the moment but I think I will in the future. My
> question is this. Can not fetchmail do all this for you?

No, fetchmail can download mail, and deliver it a local smtp port. The local
stmp server can deliver the mail to procmail, which can put it in local
mailboxes. He want to filter the mail on the server into mailboxes on the
server.

I'm working on a port of CMU's sieve that should allowing running a sieve
script on client machine against an IMAP folder, and file mail into
IMAP folders based on the rules in the script. Besides being cool, my
company uses one of the world's worst mail systems (Lotus Notes), and
I need this so I can run my filters against the server. I, as well, don't
want to download my mail to my machine, I want my mail on the IMAP server,
then I can access it from anywhere.

Unfortuneately, I don't know of any tool to do this, and I don't expect
to be done hacking cmu's sieve for at least a few weeks. Perhaps I'll post
here to see if anybody wants to be a guinea pig^h^h^h^h  alpha tester.

Sam

--
Sam Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>