Sam --

...and then Samuel Padgett said...
% David T-G <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
%
% > ...and then Samuel Padgett said...
% > % I recently moved some messages that I was reading with another MUA
% > % to an mbox file I read with Mutt.  I noticed that in the index
% >
% > How did you move them?  What's the other MUA's format?  [What's the other
% > MUA?]
%
% I moved them using the C-o command in Gnus.  The messages were
% previously stored in the nnml format.  nnml is a Gnus-specific
% format that stores each message in its own file, a little like
% Maildir.

Hmmm...  Hokay.  That sounds sensible enough, and not like a Windows
problem.  One never knows :-)

Since there was no From_ header before, Gnus had to make one up somehow.
Can you export to Maildir instead?  You could then read that in with mutt
and save to mbox.

%
% > % Mutt shows the date I moved the messages, not the date each
% > % message was sent.  I looked more closely at the mbox file and saw
% > % that the postmark lines for these messages read something like
% > %
% > % >From nobody Sun Nov 25 23:28:45 2001
% >
% > How does the From: header for this representative message look?
%
% Um, let's see...
%
% From: Samuel Padgett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Oh, *duh*  Sorry.  How about the Date: header instead? :-)

%
% > Are you sorting by date, threads, received, or none?
%
% Threads.

What happens if you sort by date?  Do they order themselves correctly?

%
% Sam

:-D
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]