On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 03:36:45PM -0600, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 07:28:32AM -0500 I heard the voice of
> David T-G, and lo! it spake thus:
> > % >
> > % > The appalling biff program requires "comsat" to do it's job, so that
> > % > is why I guess Slackware has it enabled.
> >
> > So the real fix would be to modify /etc/profile rather than simply turn
> > off comsat and have biff trying to run anyway.
>
> *bzzt*   ;)
>
> The real fix is to turn off biff notification in your MTA.
>
> The pattern goes something like this:
> - MTA delivers, notifies comsat
> - comsat notifies terminals with 'biff y' set.
>
> Note that biff isn't a daemon of any sort; it's comparable to mesg(1), in
> that it just sets modes (looking at my /usr/bin/biff source, all 109
> lines of it (including comments etc), all it does is change the u+x mode
> of the STDERR tty.  See
>
><URL:http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/usr.bin/biff/biff.c?rev=1.9&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup>
> ).
>
> So, turning off biff y, and comsat will still do everything except
> deliver the message to the tty.  Turn off comsat, and you'll still
> (probably) get packets sent to it by the MTA.  Turn off biff/comsat
> notification in the MTA (or maybe the MDA, not entirely sure), and you'll
> stop getting the packets and all the rest.

Mmm. In Postfix there is a biff option, probably the same in klingonmail
aka sendmail, and other mailers.
So to summarise the total solution:
        - kill off biff in your MTA
        - kill off biff in your MDA (if applicable)
        - get rid of biff in your /etc/profile (where it has no business
          being and makes "su" produce error messages)
        - kill off comsat, since it has no use, and you shouldn't run
          services you don't need.
Very neat.
Killing off comsat is the shortest cure, evidentially speaking :)

--
Regards
Cliff