Hi Mutt users,

now that Robert has brought up the issue, I'd like to describe my own
adventures in the field of Unicode/UTF-8.  Short answer, try setting:
export LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8
export LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
(bash syntax). If you want your apps to `speak' German.  Replace de_DE
by en_GB or en_US if you prefer English.

On Sat, Dec 15, 2001 at 02:26:57AM +0100, Robert Joop wrote:
> i've got a utf-8 display problem.
> in the pager, everything looks ok, but in the index, non-ASCII characters
> don't show up (a space appears instead).

The thing that puzzled me for a long time was that setting $LANG was
enough to make many UTF-8 apps work perfectly in a wide-char enabled,
recent 'xterm -u8'.  Except for Mutt.  Some examples that worked for me:

browsers: w3m-m17n (with autoconversion from `any' other character set),
          lynx (works with UTF-8 and iso-8859-1, at least)

pagers:   less, more (partially)

editors:  emacs-20.7 (oc-patched) (only as X app, not with -nw), mined,
          nano (partially), pico (but not 'pine -F' -- weird!)

When all this already worked, my Mutt did not even display UTF-8 chars
in the index.  Today I found out that I have to set LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8
as well.  That did the trick.  You do not have to set charset in your
~/muttrc.

Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS had a Mutt-UTF-8 patch for earlier Mutt 1.3.x at
http://www.rano.org/mutt.html
which now seems to be obsolete, though some people may still need his
patched slang-1.4.4 (I use ncurses 5.2, so I don't need slang).

I will tell him about today's success with an unpatched Mutt 1.3.24i
on Linux 2.4.4-4GB (SuSE 7.2).

The real cool thing about this Mutt in a UTF-8 locale is that even
those quirky Windows-1252 characters I complained about some time ago
are finally displayed correctly.  So where iconv refused to make
approximating translations from Windows-1252 to ISO-8859-1, it
succeeds translating from Windows-1252 to Unicode (and on to UTF-8).

OK folks, time to switch to UTF-8!

Cristian

--

}{  Cristian Pietsch