So sprach »Benjamin Michotte« am 2002-01-20 um 19:33:10 +0100 :
> > What are the benefits of using one type over the other?
> opening a mbox with ± 7000 mails : less than 10 seconds.
> opening the same in Maildir : 3 minutes...

With mutt, I get the same kind of results.  However, other MUAs behave
differently.  For instance, when I did the testing, Evolution opened the
same Maildir way faster than it handled the mbox file (which contained
the same messages).  mutt seems to be *extremely* optimized for mbox.

FWIW, I just did some testing using mutt 1.3.25i on my Athlon 800 MHz,
786 MB RAM, and a IBM DDRS-39130W SCSI UW hard drive running reiserfs.
The Maildir/mbox I tested, had 84.533 messages and about 321 MB.  Opening
the mbox beast took 2:53 minutes, while opening the same converted to
Maildir (with mutt) took more than 25 minutes.  Go figure...

Alexander Skwar
--
How to quote:   http://learn.to/quote (german) http://quote.6x.to (english)
Homepage:       http://www.iso-top.de      |     Jabber: [EMAIL PROTECTED]