Why mutt?

Speed and flexibility.

If you subscribe to a number of mailing lists which are generally
high-volume then mutt makes speedy navigation a breeze.

Mutt is so highly configurable that I imagine no 2 person' mutts are
alike.  I switched from Netscape to Pine for flexibility and options and
then from Pine to Mutt for even more.  Mutt gives you choices about how
to handle your mail that you wouldn't even have thought of while using
another client.  Mutt makes handling your email a highly personalized
experience.

This flexibility comes at the price of having a learning curve when it
comes to setup and configuration but I don't see how you could have this
level of flexibility any other way.

To be honest, I had considered switching from Pine to Mutt several
months before I actually did.  My initial perusal of the muttrc left me
somewhat overwhelmed so I put it down and came back later.  I had only
been using linux for a few months and wasn't ready for it yet.

Using Mutt, I believe, has actually accelerated my progress at becoming
a proficient user of Linux.  It changed my perspective and my
preferences from a GUI based one to a console based one.  I remember
hearing long-time linux users say that the command line gives so much
more power, control and flexibility and I could intellectually
understand the reasons they gave but it wasn't until after I had been
using Mutt for a while that I developed a gut level appreciation for
that point of view.

Using Mutt also led to me using Vim as my choice editor.  I know it was
something written by Sven somewhere that convinced me of it but I don't
recall if it was at his site, in a newsgroup or on this mailing list.
Up till then I had been using GUI editors outside of mail and pico with
mutt because I become accustomed to it in Pine.  Now I use vim for
everything and am grateful for having my eyes opened to it.

I hope that the Mutt developers don't decide to make it more "useable"
by dumbing it down.  I believe this leads to applications geared
toward the lowest common denominator and you end up with MUA's like
LookOut! and OS's like M$.

Mutt + vim + fetchmail + procmail + lbdb + gnupg + mixmaster = nirvana
--
Ken Wahl     [EMAIL PROTECTED]     http://www.kenwahl.org/
PGP/GPG Public Key at  http://www.kenwahl.org/pubkey.gpg