Sven Guckes wrote:

> mutt does not strive to be popular with everyone.  after all, all
> those bad mailers were written to *fit* some people - and they
> certainly do!  so dont take them away from those - they deserve it!

i think this statement is a bit elitist.... simply because a tool is
powerful doesn't mean that it can't also be fairly easy to use.  it can
be overwhelming to be faced with all that power at once; however that
doesn't mean that the tool isn't still worth using.

for instance, mutt might be far superior to pine, but there are still a
lot of pine users out there, simply because pine is much easier to use
initially.

i was thinking about this in the car tonight, and i realized that
(AFAIK) there isn't a simple interactive command line program to help
new users adjust to / configure mutt.

such a program could easily be written as a shell script or a perl
script... and could be included in the mutt distribution, or in the
contrib/ directory.

basically, the tool would be oriented towards helping people set
suitable defaults, and creating a decent .muttrc.  while the mutt
defaults are (in general) very sensibly chosen, it's often hard for new
users to figure out what parameter they must change to have the desired
effect.

common stuff like "set move=no", "set mbox_type=Maildir", etc. could be
included here, with a brief explanation of the choices.

it could also ask if the user is used to other programs (ie pine) and
offer to make the keybindings more familiar.

it might also look at environment variables and the answers to previous
questions in order to give sensible default choices (ie if $MAIL is set
to /var/mail/william, that's probably a good choice for 'mbox'; if
~~/mail exists but ~/Mail doesn't, setting folder to ~/mail is probably a
good idea; if $EDITOR or $VISUAL is set to nano, then perhaps 'nano -t'
would be the default selection offered for 'editor').

lastly, the program could explain a few things (commonly asked
questions, for example) so that they're less likely to be asked on the
list.

if the program came out well enough, perhaps mutt could even ask if you
want to run it if ~/.muttrc or ~/.mutt/muttrc don't exist.

in any event, i'd be happy to help if anyone wants to work on this (if
it's in perl, my ability to help will be limited).

--
Will Yardley
william @ newdream . net