Hi, Thomas!

> > I've compiled mutt-1.3.28i in the default configuration on RedHat Linux
> > 7.2 (i386) with all updates.  If I run it in xterm (from XFree86-4.1.0) or
> > in rxvt-2.7.6, it shows a blank screen.  I can quit by pressing Ctrl-C and
> > Enter.  The same executable runs on the Linux console just fine.
>
> what $TERM value?

"xterm" both under xterm and rxvt.  I forgot to mention that I was running
xterm from rxvt.  I have found that if I run xterm from the window manager
the problem goes away!

When I run rxvt, it sets the following environment variables beginning
with "COLOR":

COLORFGBG=default;0
COLORTERM=rxvt

Both xterm and rxvt are using black background.  From .Xdefaults:

XTerm*background: black
XTerm*foreground: gray85

Unsetting COLORFGBG fixes the problem.

My interpretation is that mutt uses black text on black background.
Probably ncurses interprets "default" in COLORFGBG as "black" whereas
S-Lang uses the foreground from the X resources.

Shouldn't ncurses ignore COLORFGBG if it has unsupported keywords (let's
move this discussion elsewhere if you want to continue).

Not exactly mutt problem, but may be useful thing to know if other people
ask.

--
Regards,
Pavel Roskin