On Mon, 18 Mar 2002, Pavel Roskin wrote:

> Hi, Thomas!
>
> > > I've compiled mutt-1.3.28i in the default configuration on RedHat Linux
> > > 7.2 (i386) with all updates.  If I run it in xterm (from XFree86-4.1.0) or
> > > in rxvt-2.7.6, it shows a blank screen.  I can quit by pressing Ctrl-C and
> > > Enter.  The same executable runs on the Linux console just fine.
> >
> > what $TERM value?
>
> "xterm" both under xterm and rxvt.  I forgot to mention that I was running
> xterm from rxvt.  I have found that if I run xterm from the window manager
> the problem goes away!
>
> When I run rxvt, it sets the following environment variables beginning
> with "COLOR":
>
> COLORFGBG=default;0
> COLORTERM=rxvt
>
> Both xterm and rxvt are using black background.  From .Xdefaults:
>
> XTerm*background: black
> XTerm*foreground: gray85
>
> Unsetting COLORFGBG fixes the problem.

that's a bug that I fixed in September.  The problem was that when I coded
the $COLORFGBG logic (which btw is under-documented in rxvt - you have to
read the C code to see it), it didn't occur to me that its format might
change.  It happens that the format depends on whether xpm is linked in -
2 or 3 fields.  The background color is the last field.

(Since it's under-documented, it's also possible that in the future
anything that relies upon that format will be broken ;-).

> My interpretation is that mutt uses black text on black background.
> Probably ncurses interprets "default" in COLORFGBG as "black" whereas
> S-Lang uses the foreground from the X resources.
>
> Shouldn't ncurses ignore COLORFGBG if it has unsupported keywords (let's
> move this discussion elsewhere if you want to continue).

$COLORFGBG is marked as an experimental feature.  I've gotten 2-3 reports
of this particular problem - but only months after I stumbled on it
myself.  Apparently one or more of the rpm's last year turned that feature
on, though it was in the code almost a year.

--
T.E.Dickey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://invisible-island.net