Hi,

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 10:36:41:AM +0000 Simon White wrote:
> Computer courses should teach about computers, not some proprietary
> software guff. Doesn't have to be programming, but how about file systems,
> and troubleshooting procedures?

Troubleshooting is part of what I think makes most sence. Everybody
should learn how to help yourself, including how to gain knowledge,
searching for information and stuff like that. Just fundamental things
of how to get used to a certain environment on your own.

The Windows GUI-only knowledge doesn't help a lot if 'vi' (or edit.com)
is the only tool someone has to make the GUI working. Mice won't help a
lot if you have to edit config files to make the mouse working...

Btw, I often see that former DOS users are having much less trouble to
get used to Unix and shells than Windows users.

Cheers, Rocco.