On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 01:46:15PM -0500, Shawn McMahon wrote:

> Let me see if I get this straight:

ok.

> This hypothetical person is capable of installing a PGP plugin for
> Outlook, but isn't capable of using it to decrypt an attached file?

first a little clarification, i am talking about the gnupg plugin from
g-data.  i haven't yet played around with the mit pgp plugin for
outlook but that is on the list for today.

well, the hypothetical person is not hypothetical.  he is me.  let me
see if i can explain.  i have to use outlook at work but use mutt at
home.  this allows me to test sending stuff mutt <-> outlook.  so,
imho, the hypothetical person is fairly technically savy seeing as it
is me.  ;-)

the problem is i am doing this testing to set up some secure email
communication between me and my accountant.  i am not sure my
accountant is techinically savy enough to go through too many
gyrations in order to get what i send her verified/decrypted.

> Doesn't it insinuate itself into the right-click menu?

i have to say that once you have done some research on public key
cryptography and played around with gpg a little, the gnupg plugin for
outlook from g-data is quite nice.  you get little toolbar icons and
the gpa gets installed so key management is gui-ized.  all in all, it
is nice.  i am merely trying to minimize the work my accountant is
going to have to go through in order to set this up.

btw - thanks to all who replied and helped on this thread.  i
appreciate it!  it looks like the best option is to sign & encrypt my
attachments first and then attach it to a cleartext, unsigned email.

--
Peter Abplanalp

Email:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
PGP:     pgp.mit.edu