On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 04:21:24PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
| On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 08:58:42 -0500, Derrick 'dman' Hudson wrote:
| > On Mon, Jul 22, 2002 at 09:39:52AM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
| > | I prefer to keep the mbox format for these mailboxes, because this
| > | makes easier for other operations (like grepping or copying them).
| >
| >     grep -r
| >     cp -r
| >
| > How does maildir inhibit those operations?
|
| I haven't said that they were inhibited, I have said that using the
| mbox format makes things easier. Sometimes, I need an interactive cp.

Interactive cp?  Is that like using debugfs to copy inodes manually?
(yes, that's joke, but I really don't know what can be "interactive"
about cp)

| And how can "cp -r" (or "scp -r") remove files from the destination
| mailbox?

*Those* commands don't, the 'rm' command does :-).

| Indeed, I sometimes delete messages from mailboxes.

Is this always one-sided?  Or can you received/delete messages from
either side and then want to sync them?

If it is the former you can fairly easily script it with varying
amounts of efficiency.  For example, just 'rm -rf' the folder on the
destination and 'scp -r' to "update" it.

In the latter case you need a program that understands mail folders
(regardless of whether you use mbox or maildir) to properly sync the
two folders.

Perhaps a better solution is to use imap and have just one folder
store.  (*perhaps*)

| > I actually find maildir better for grepping because grep tells me
| > which file (message) the match was found in.
|
| This is true, but in general, I'm interested in several messages
| (e.g. a thread). When I've found the mailbox containing the files
| I was searching for, I can use Mutt and the limit function.

Can the limit function operate on message bodies?  From what I've seen
it seems to operate on the subject only (or certain other headers and
properties if you use the right tilde magic).

HTH,
-D

--
A)bort, R)etry, D)o it right this time